Monday, December 6, 2010

Neighbor Gift Ideas: Sand Art Brownies

Remember back in the 90's when sand art was all the rage?? I remember going to an amusement park and paying to make some cool sand art. As an ode to a once popular trend, I have revived sand art, just a bit, with these sand art brownies. It is actually a recipe I got from my Mother, I think she got it from a friend when sand art was in it's prime. As I was doing some holiday shopping for various gifts at IKEA a few weeks back, I came across this super cute jar. It is a 37 ounce jar, with stars etched on it and it was quite the deal at $3.99.I layered the ingredients, then found a scrap piece of Christmas fabric, and secured it with some baker's twine. I printed out the instructions and gave it to my cute friend.
Here is a view of all the layers. I think it turned out pretty cute myself!
Here is the recipe for Sand Art Brownies:

Layer the following ingredients at the bottom of a quart jar as follows:
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I usually use semi-sweet)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Cup + 2 TSBP flour
1/4 TSP salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

I usually leave out the white chocolate chips and nuts when I am giving this to neighbors, since many don't like them.

Here is the instructions for your note:

Add:
1 TSP vanilla
2/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes in a 9x9 greased pan. This recipe makes 16 brownies.

What are you giving your neighbors and friends this season?

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I loved sand art back in the day! I think I could also do this for my 3 yr old and let him shake it up and pour it into a bowl. Anything to entertain him, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails