Friday, December 10, 2010

Faux gingerbread cookies

This was a quick and easy project that I did over the past weekend. You know my obsession with all things sweet and tasty...Well, for some strange reason, my children have inherited this trait from me. Thus, I thought it would be better to keep the gingerbread in our home inedible, so none of us would be tempted to sample.

I mixed up a batch of dough and got to work.

I knew I only wanted stars, and ended up with a rather large collection.


They baked away the afternoon in a 200 degree oven (about 2 1/2 hours). And when they were sufficiently dried out, I added details with a Deco Art Dimensional Writer.

I started adding glitter, and loved the results...



I think I'll use these for my tree...


and bake up another batch for a "gingerbread" wreath.


Be sure to try this no-fail recipe~

Salt dough recipe
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 cups of flour
- 1T. vegetable oil
3/4 to 1 cup of lukewarm water (the amount of water depends on relative humidity).

The dough should be colored before baking... I just used food coloring.

Mix the salt and flour together in a salad bowl, using a wooden spatula. Then add the water until a large ball has formed. Knead at length on a lightly floured work surface (somewhere smooth and easy to clean). The quality of dough you finish with will depend on the time spent on kneading.

1 comment:

  1. Found you on the blog hop! I'm your newest follower! http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/
    Great project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails