Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas...

...especially in our house. Every year in our home, it's a tradition to decorate the day after Thanksgiving (and not a day earlier according to my hubby). This year, I decided to change up my decor a little bit after being inspired by various blog tutorials and my lovely neighbors' (who happen to be interior designers) beautiful all-decked-out-for-the-holidays home.

One of my favorite things that I made was a tree skirt that I whipped up based on this tutorial by Kojo Designs. Simple, super-cute, and finished in under an hour! Now that's my kind of sewing project :)


The camera flash makes it look a lot more tomatoey, pinky red than its true color but it fits right in with my red/leafy-green type theme.


I can't decide if my favorite part is the big damask buttons or the pom-pom trim that I added. The only thing that I changed from Kojo Design's tutorial was that I eyeballed the whole thing due to my laziness in wanting to measure anything. It may not be perfect, but it turned out great and no one would ever know, so go for it and whip out a tree skirt in less than an hour!


I also loved these Dinner Napkin Snowballs from House of Smiths (love her blog!) So easy, so fun, and I can leave them out all winter, can't beat that!



This next decoration I just whipped up myself (which means it must be easy :) I bought the two larger, cone-trees from Tai Pan and had bought a couple boxes of mini-ornaments from Joann's on Black Friday that I didn't end up needing or using so I just grabbed my trusty mini-glue gun and hot-glued the heck outta them! I ended up with a (semi-symmetrical) silver ornament cone tree.



The last craft I'll share tonight was meant to be hung in my house but I didn't end up liking the way it was looking so on the door it went! It actually turned out quite well since it saved me from finding or making another Christmas-y wreath :) The Pretty Poppy posted this Pretty Little Rosie Wreath back in the summer and I thought it would be the perfect wreath for me to use around Christmas time. Between this project and the ornament tree, I used almost an entire small bag of mini glue sticks (and tried my husband's patience with hot-glue residue on our couch, whoops) but it was definitely worth it and I've gotten a lot of compliments!



I have been loving that I am less busy with school (I graduate a week from tomorrow! Yay!) and have more time to spend doing things that I want to do like spend time with my family and make things that I've had on my list for awhile. I'll be back next week with a little more about me and some more fun crafts to try! Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails