Monday, November 22, 2010

A Grand Thanksgiving Tradition, Homemade Pie.

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I love Thanksgiving. I love the season of gratitude, being with family, and eating yummy food. For me, Thanksgiving Day has a lot of unofficial traditions, playing games with family, watching football, and my Mother's home made pie. My Mother is an excellent cook, anything she makes is from scratch and absolutely delicious. Every Thanksgiving Day I look forward to her pies. Apple and Pumpkin with home made crusts are a given, but one that has become a non traditional staple is the Sunny Banana Cream pie. I don't remember when it first was served on Thanksgiving Day, but my late older brother was sure to request it every Thanksgiving Day, it was his favorite. My Mother still serves it every year we are at her house, and my husband has grown to love this tradition as well. We are making it this week and I thought I would share the recipe, though I don't have any photos to post, I can post them after the holiday.

Sunny Banana Cream Pie

2 bananas
1- 8 ounce pkg cream cheese
2 cups milk
1- 3 ounces pkg instant banana cream pudding mix
Toasted coconut to garnish, if desired

Slice bananas onto graham cracker pie crust. Gradually add 1/2 cup of milk to softened cream cheese, mixing until well blended. (With a hand mixer or Kitchenaid mixer.) Add pudding mix and mix remaining milk; beat slowly 1 minute. Pour into crust and chill. Garnish with coconut.

Makes 1, 9 inch pie.



Graham Cracker Pie Crust

12 double graham crackers
3 TBSP sugar
7 TSBP melted butter

Put crackers in a zip lock bag and use a rolling pin to roll into fine crumbs. Combine with butter and sugar. Mix well. Press firmly into two 10 inch pie pans. Chill 45 minutes or bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool before filling.

I love fun, quirky, family traditions. Do you have any in your family? Please share! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails