Thursday, November 4, 2010

Adventures in Homemade Baby Food: Sweet Potatoes (Yams)

The harvest season brings about one of my favorite Thanksgiving foods, the sweet potato AKA yams. Yams are a great food for babies because of the rich flavor and they are packed full of vitamins and nutrients. They are also SUPER easy to turn into baby food.

After scrubbing the outside of my yams, I wrapped them in foil, and baked them at 375 degrees for about an hour. When I took them out, they were perfect, the skins were peeling off.
I scooped out the insides with a fork and gently mashed them up in a bowl. I added a little ginger and a bit of breast milk to make them a bit more creamy for my lil guy. Adding breast milk is not necessary, if you bake them, they will be the correct consistency.
I stirred it all together and I had the perfect yummy lunch! My yams seemed a little stringy, but I just stirred and mashed a little more and my baby had no problem. I put the rest into jars in the fridge, and we are good with a weeks worth of food.
My next adventure is to make some green foods. The only green food I have given him so far in mashed avocado, I have yet to do beans or peas. If you have a good green baby food recipe, please share!

1 comment:

  1. Tate loved sweet potatoes, that was by far his favorite!! I cooked them the same way too. He also like peas quite a bit, I just did plain frozen peas, steamed them and mashed away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails