Thursday, January 27, 2011

What Do You Do With Kitchen Rags?: Tidy Tips

As I stated in a previous post, the month of January gives me the itch to organize, so you are getting lots of tidy tips this month. We have also been having flashes of 40 degree days, which makes me ready for some spring cleaning! A few years ago, I live with a bunch of fun girls, most of which are still my friends today, and one is now a nurse. I remember her saying to wash your kitchen and bathroom rags separate, I don't remember the exact reason why, just that it could lead to some sort of weird health thing. Lovely explanation I am giving you. That has always just stuck with me and I have actually gone away from using rags in the bathroom all together, I usually just use paper towels. My kitchen rags, however, get stinky fast with all of the time they are wet, and I didn't have a place to store them. That is where this guy came in.....
Since I store my bags my own way (you can read about that here), I decided to use my plastic bag holder for my kitchen rags instead. It has worked really well, and here are the reasons I love it. First, it is open, so the rags can dry out fully, which makes them less likely to smell. Sorry my picture is so ugly, the lighting in the laundry closet is horrible.
Second, it hangs on my wall until it is full and then I can just pull it off and dump the rags directly into the washing machine. So simple.
I always wash my kitchen rags with either vinegar or baking soda (not together though!) to help get rid of that funky smell. I have found though kitchen rags just don't have a super long life, so I buy the cheap ones and rotate every couple months. What do you do with your kitchen rags??

5 comments:

  1. I do something similar. I launder all my kitchen linens with the rest of our household towels/linens. I have a mesh bag hanging in my laundry closet that holds soiled cleaning rags. When that gets full, I do those separately and usually add some bleach but no fabric softener. I'm kind of a germ-aphobe, so I change the kitchen dishrags, drying towels, & napkins every day. On the rare occasion that I use a sponge in the kitchen, I will just pop it in the dishwasher for a good sanitizing. I also change bathroom hand towels every day, but the bath towels every other day.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know there are other germ-aphobes out there and I am not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. I too use a mesh bag in the laundry room. I've never come up with a good way to hang it, so they don't air out as much as they could. I usually wash all of the kitchen stuff together and use vinegar like you do, SueAnn. I'm finding that being pregnant is making me much more of a germaphobe than I was before. Not sure if it's such a good thing - I'm afraid I'm getting into OCD territory with some things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great posts. I have wondered for the longest time what other people do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails