Monday, August 23, 2010

A few of my favorite things.....

A year ago when we started to go through a baby budget and divide up how much to spend on what, it was hard to know where to splurge and get the really good name brand stuff and where we could pinch our pennies. I started doing a lot of research, reading reviews, ect. So I have decided to share my findings with you. We really didn't spend hardly anything on furniture. We got our crib for free as a very nice hand me down, our steal of a dresser that I talked about last week (which is our changing table), and we refinished an existing dresser that we already owned. We have a few other pieces, the most expensive being our rocking chair. I think you can go more inexpensive with furniture, because you can always use a little paint and make it cute. When it came to my splurge, I really felt good about it, it is something I use almost daily, my stroller.
It is the Phil and Ted Classic Jogging Stroller, and I 100% LOVE it! I knew I really wanted a jogger, but then started to think, do I want a double, I don't want to be buying this again in 2 years. The Phil and Ted's sold me, it is both a single and a double. The best part is you can use it from day 1, which I have, it lays flat for a newborn. Most jogging strollers you have to wait until your baby is 6 months old. It can do 1 baby, 1 baby + 1 toddler, or 2 toddlers. I took my baby and a 2 year old to the park the other day in it and it worked perfect, easy to push, and both kids had a great time. It is so easy to fold up and down, and folds pretty flat and fits nicely in the trunk of my Mazda 3. When I first saw the price ($349) I cringed, but then when I started to do the math, buying a single stroller now plus a jogger, then a double stroller in 2 years, it ended up being pretty even. It is the only stroller I will ever buy and does everything I need. I also bought it when they had their promo in which they throw in the doubles kit for free! I think they do that from time to time, so if your interested, keep your eye out for it.

Next is my Baby Bjorn carrier. I think my husband might love this one more than me! I did a lot of reading while I was pregnant and in The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears M.D., I really enjoyed what I read about baby wearing. It makes sense, especially when they are newborns and you want to hold them all the time, but still get stuff done. My baby loves it, he is so content being in the Bjorn, it especially makes grocery shopping nice. We went to a nice baby boutique and tried on all the different ones from the least expensive to the most, and decided the Baby Bjorn was the right one for us. It is in the high/middle price range at about $80. Don't worry, after we tried them all on at the more expensive baby boutique, we went and actually bought it at Target.
Lastly, I love the Breastflow bottle by The First Years. When I started working again I became really nervous about keeping up with breastfeeding. I had so many friends and coworkers tell me that after their child started a bottle, they preferred the bottle over breastfeeding. I was determined to not have that happen in my case, so I started looking into bottles that lactation consultants recommended to keep up breastfeeding while working. The Breastflow bottles had all good reviews, so we decided to give them a try, and have loved them. They make your baby work the same way they would when breastfeeding by having the double nipples. It makes them use both suction and compression, and I can say he has yet to choose a bottle over me! I have not had a refused feeding from me yet, and hope it stays that way. They average about $12.99 for a 3 pack and you can pick them up pretty much anywhere from Wal-Mart to Babies R Us.

Hopefully, you have enjoyed some of my favorite things, I would love to know what yours are, please leave a comment or email me at alilbird3 (at) gmail (dot) com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails